Cannaregio    Castello    Dorsoduro    San Marco    San Polo    Santa Croce    Giudecca    The Islands
    The List    The Lost Churches



 

  Frari Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
San Cassiano
San Giacometto
San Giacomo di Rialto
San Giovanni Elemosinaro
San Giovanni Evangelista
San Polo
San Rocco
San Silvestro
San Tomà
San Tommaso
Sant’Aponal

 

 

Frari
Baldassare Longhena, Jacopo Sansovino, Marco Cozzi,  1492
 

this church now has its own page
 

San Cassiano
13th-17th Centuries
 


History
The first church here was said to have been an oratory built in 726 and dedicated to St Cecilia. Rebuildings followed in 926 (when it was made a parish church and changed its name), 1106 (after the fire), 1205 and 1350, with this church consecrated in 1376. Rebuilding in the early 17th Century to its current internal appearance, this work finishing in 1663. The portico was demolished in the 19th Century when the church acquired its current external appearance.

The church
Outside it just looks like a big box. The rio-facing façade misses its portico and is encroached on by buildings. It retains its Byzantine-era doorposts, possibly from the original church. Entry is usually now via the small side-door onto the campo.

Interior
The interior makes up for the lack of façade and the very plain exterior, being highly decorated but managing to stay this side of exhausting, despite having an ceiling-high altar by Meyring and Nardo, the first being responsible for the decoration of San Moise, the church that makes you say 'blimey!' His work here is relatively restrained as are the rather splendid Venetian chandeliers. The use of pale colours generally lightens the interior, even the heavily decorated ceiling, with its paintings by a Tiepolo-follower called Costantino Cedini, including one of San Cassiano in Glory. Even the Tintorettos here are likeable and exceptional, with a Crucifixion, Resurrection and Descent Into Limbo ranged in sequence around the apse. St John in the famous and superior Crucifixion even gestures comic-strip-like into the next 'frame' - the Resurrection over the altar. Then in The Descent into Limbo Jesus meets up with Adam and a very sexy Eve. The nave of the church has three altars each side with three paintings between them, the best by Rocco Marconi, a John the Baptist with Saints Peter, Paul, Mark and Jerome looking more than a bit Bellini, of whom he was a pupil.

I had to ask, but access to the small chapel half way along the left hand wall is worth it as it is an odd little jewel-box of a room - all marble and inlaid semi-precious stones. Commissioned in 1746 by Abbot Carlo del Medico it has an altarpiece (1763) and ceiling fresco by Giambattista Pitoni. It also contains an early 18th Century painting of the Martyrdom of San Cassiano by Antonio Balestra, and yes those children are hacking at him and stabbing him with pens. He was a teacher martyred by his pupils using pens, and so is now the patron saint of schoolteachers.

Lost Art
The San Cassiano Altarpiece by Antonello da Messina was commissioned by Pietro Bon and was housed in the old Gothic church. It brought oil painting to Venice, probably, and was massively influential in introducing the layout of the typical 'Venetian' altarpiece. Its influence on Giovanni Bellini, with its use of colour and shade to form features, is also debated as he had been heading in this direction already. (The argument as to whether this painting or Bellini's lost St Catherine of Sienna altarpiece from San Zanipolo was the first unified pala produced in Venice still rages.) It disappeared sometime in the early part of the 17th Century - the disappearance is first mentioned in 1648. The painting reappeared in the collection of Archduke Leopold William in Brussels, attributed to Giovanni Bellini. In 1700 the three fragments that remain (there were originally eight saints) (see below right) found their way to Vienna, and are now in the Kunsthistorisches Museum.

Almost lost was the Tintoretto Crucifixion. In Venice in 1852 John Ruskin wrote a letter asking for £7000 from the National Gallery in London to acquire it 'for the nation'. The Tintoretto Marriage at Cana was included in the deal, for £5000. He never got the money and so the paintings remain in their Venetian churches. He presumably sold this shameful asset-stripping to his conscience because his opinion was that the Tintorettos were all the church had going for it (see below).


Campanile 43m (140 ft) electromechanical bells
Its sturdiness suggests that it may have been built as a defensive tower and later acquired by the original church. Built in 1295 with a Gothic belfry added in 1350.

Ruskin says
This church must on no account be missed, as it contains three Tintorets, of which one, the "Crucifixion," is among the finest in Europe. There is nothing worth notice in the building itself, except the jamb of an ancient door (left in the Renaissance building, facing the canal), which has been given among the examples of Byzantine jambs; and the traveller may therefore devote his entire attention to the three pictures in the chancel. Of The Resurrection he says It is not a painting of the Resurrection, but of Roman Catholic saints thinking about the Resurrection.

Local colour
In 1488 this church's entrance was ordered to be chained shut, and the porch of Santa Maria Mater Domini was sealed off, 'after the twenty-third hour' to 'stop sodomites using it as a meeting place'. Local pastry shops were also said to be dens of such iniquity.

The funeral procession of Caterina Corner, the ex-Queen of Cypress, in 1509 started here and made its way over a bridge of boats to the church of Santi Apostoli where she was buried.

Campo San Cassiano was the site of the first public opera house in the world which opened in 1637. It was demolished in 1812 having been badly damaged by several fires.

The church in fiction
The painting The Martyrdom of San Cassiano by Antonio Balestra features in the novel Lucifer's Shadow by David Hewson.

Opening times
Tuesday-Saturday 9.00-12.00 & 5.00-7.00

Vaporetto San Stae

map

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

San Giacometto
11th Century
 


History
Traditionally said to be the oldest church in Venice - an inscription on the left-hand pillar in the chancel says 421. Legend goes even further and claims that the church was consecrated at noon on the 21st March 421, this being the date that the republic used to celebrate as Venice's birthday. It's also supposedly the date of The Annunciation.  Information about the rebuilding is vague. Nothing ancient remains - the current church was built sometime during the reign of Doge Domenico Selvo (1071-84) and reconsecrated in 1177. It survived the fire of 1514 which destroyed most of the market, but must have been damaged as it underwent considerable restoration in 1531 (according to a plaque by the entrance) and again in 1599-1601. This latter work improved the lighting and installed some heavy baroque altars, but the original mosaics were lost. The choir on the inside façade was removed in 1933. This has always been seen as the 'market church' and has altars dedicated to various guilds of merchants and craftsmen. An cross-shaped inscription from the 12th Century on the outside of the apse (below left) tells merchants to be honest in their dealings and precise in their weights. The church now hosts concerts where Vivaldi's Four Seasons is performed most nights.

The church
The façade is dominated by one of only two wooden Gothic church porches to remain intact in Venice (the other being at San Nicolò dei Mendicoli). It was restored in 1958. Also the large and ever-wrong 24-hour clock above the 17th Century windows, which was put up in 1410 and restored in 1749.

Interior
Hemmed in by the market bustle, this is a dinky little Greek-Cross shaped church with a cupola, some charm, but no great art. Most of the city's original 70 parish churches would have been this shape originally, if not this small. This one has had reconstruction too, of course, but retains its original shape. The Greek marble columns with their Veneto-Byzantine capitals remain from the 11th Century church.

Campanile
The original was destroyed by fire in 1514. The current Roman-style tower was built in  1749. Under the bells is  a Gothic relief of the Virgin and Child from the early 16th Century.

Ruskin said

It has been grievously restored, but the pillars and capitals of its nave are certainly of the eleventh century; those of its portico are of good central gothic.

Lost art
According Augustus Hare's guide book to Venice of 1904. In 1664 it possessed 'good pictures by Lanfrancus and Marcus Veccelli, old Titian's nephew and scholar'.

Local colour

Opposite the church you'll find (usually hidden behind piles of boxes and rotting vegetables) the 16th Century granite statue of Gobbo di Rialto (the Hunchback of Rialto) - a crouching figure supporting a flight of stairs and and a plaque (see right). The Republic's decrees where once read from this pedestal and men convicted of petty crimes would run the gauntlet of beatings naked from Piazza San Marco to this statue where the punishment would end when the criminal kissed the statue. Shakespeare is said to have named the clown Gobbo in The Merchant of Venice after the statue.

The church in art

Canaletto's San Giacomo di Rialto (see below left) is in the Gemäldegalerie, Dresden.

Opening times
Monday to Saturday: 9.00 to 5.00
Sundays: closed
A (recently added) Chorus Church, but entry is still free, presumably because it's so small. It is now over-lit with a concert and CD desk and display cases of instruments, so it lacks even the, admittedly pretty dark and grimy, atmosphere it had before.


Vaporetto San Silvestro or Rialto

map
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                   

The old photo in the centre shows a strangely changed facade that I (and others) can find no documentary explanation for. The painting on the left is by Canaletto and shows that the church now looks much as it did in his time. The etching on the right, also by Canaletto, is called Imaginary View of San Giacomo di Rialto and I include it merely to muddy the confusing waters further.
 

San Giovanni Elemosinario
Antonio Abandi (Scarpagnino) 1527-29
 


The church
The name saint translates as St John the Almsgiver, the 7th Century Patriarch of Alexandria - his body is in the church of San
Giovanni in Bragora over in Castello. Tradition claims that this church was founded in 966. The first record is dated 1051, but it calls the church 'ancient'. Rebuilt in 1167, and again in the 15th Century, this old church was destroyed in the Rialto fire of 1514 and rebuilt by Scarpagnino (as part of his wider rebuilding commission after the fire) in 1527-29. It underwent much restoration recently and reopened in 2002 after having been closed for 20 years.

Interior
Greek-Cross shaped and classical in style, this church has a bright Pordenone-frescoed cupola (thought lost but rediscovered during the recent restoration) and a very mannerist-influenced altarpiece by him depicting Saints Sebastian, Roch and Catherine.

Also a fine mid-period (c.1530) Titian altarpiece of the church's name saint (see below right) which was returned from the Accademia following restoration in 1989-90 which removed 19th/20th Century restoration overpaintings and varnish. It is to be found over the high altar, which was built in 1633 and dedicated to the Casteletti - the guild of lottery clerks.( The Titian altarpiece lost its original arched top to fit this altar.) The local market guilds seem to
have paid for most of the art and fittings here.

Campanile 41m (133ft) manual bells
Collapsed in 1071 and again in 1361. It was rebuilt 1398-1410, and again by Scarpagnino as part of the 1527-29 rebuilding. Originally topped by a dome and four pinnacles, it now has a hipped roof with pantiles.

Ruskin said
Said to contain a Titian and a Bonifazio. Of no other interest. Its campanile is the most interesting piece of central
Gothic remaining comparatively intact in Venice. It stands on four detached piers; a greengrocer's shop in the space between them; the stable tower for its roof. There are three lovely bits of heraldry, carved on three square stones, on its side towards the Rialto. The Titian, only visible to me by the sacristan's single candle, seems languid and affected.

Opening times
Monday to Saturday: 10.00 to 5.00
Sundays: closed
A Chorus Church

Vaporetto San Silvestro or Rialto

map

 

 



































Interior photo by David Orme
 

San Giovanni Evangelista
Bernardino Maccaruzzi 1758-9
 


History
Founded in 970 by the Badoer family. Rebuilt in 1443-75, restored in late 16th Century by Simone Sorella and again in 1758-9 by Bernardino Maccaruzzi. More work in the 19th Century.

The scuola was founded in 1261 (making it the third oldest after the scuole of Santa Maria della Carità and San Marco, founded the year before) and was housed in the church of Sant’Aponal until it moved in 1301 to this church and to an ospizio (asylum) building opposite, again at the expanse of the Badoer family. The scuola building too was rebuilt in the mid-15th Century. It was suppressed by Napoleon in 1797, but a new confraternity was established in 1929 and thrives still.

The screen spanning the campielo between the church and the scuola, completed around 1485, is usually attributed to Pietro Lombardo. Until the dissolution of the scuola it had doors. It features an eagle, the symbol of St John the Baptist in its semi-circular pediment - the original relief of the saint himself is now in the Berlin Museum.

Interior
The nave is rectangular and wider than deep with a deep apse of two shallow vaulted domes. Either side of it are large art-highlight panels depicting The Last Supper by Marieschi and The Crucifixion by Domenico Tintoretto. Another by Domenico is the St John the Evangelist over the right-hand of the two shallow chapels flanking the apse. Another Marieschi is the panel on the ceiling. Also monuments over the doors to Giovanni Andrea and Angelo Badoer by Danese Cattaneo, a pupil of Sansovino. Down the right side are two deepish chapels. The Chapel of Lourdes is fenced and glitzy. The Chapel of St James has wooden pews and panelling continuing in style from the nave. The sacristy adjoining has rougher woodwork and a long and impressive Martyrdom of St John the Evangelist by Zampini. Also an altarpiece depicting The Bearing, the Crucifixion and the Deposition by Sustris.


Lost art
The famous sequence of nine paintings of The Miracles of the True Cross by Carpaccio, Gentile Bellini, and others, now in the Accademia gallery, were painted for Oratory of the Cross in the Scuola here.


Campanile
30m (98ft) manual bells

Also rebuilt by Maccaruzzi in 1759.


The church in art
The Offering of the Relic of the Cross to the members of the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista by Lazzaro Bastiani is in the Accademia. It shows the old façade with its portico, before it was demolished.


Courtyard of the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista (1913), an oil painting by John Singer Sargent. An unusually (for him) uncropped view, it is a head-on view of the screen. It excludes the iron railings in front of the screen, but shows their stone bases.

Ruskin said (of the Scuola)
A fine example of the Byzantine Renaissance, mixed with remnants of good late Gothic. The little exterior cortile is sweet in feeling, and Lazari praises highly the work of the interior staircase.


Vaporetto
San Toma

Opening times
The scuola and church are open to the public on odd, but previously announced, days from 9.30 - 17.00. Check their website for details and future open days.

map


The Scuola
Access to the main rooms is up an impressive staircase by Codussi. You first enter the huge and spectacular Sala Capitolare (see right) the rebuilding work of Giorgio Massari in the early 18th Century, with large canvases down each side and many panels on the ceiling, all depicting scenes from the life of the scuola's name saint by the likes of Domenico Tintoretto, Marieschi, Balestra, Guarana, Diziani and even Longhi. There's also the Oratory of the Cross where the Bellini and Carpaccio dominated Miracles of the Cross cycle used to live. The final room, the small Sala dell'Albergo has four panels by Palma Giovane just as you might be thinking this is the one place in Venice without examples of his work, but they are odd scenes, and there's also a rather nice 14th Century gothic panel called the Madonna Platytera. It was found in the sacristy of the church being used, face down, as a floorboard.

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

San Polo
15th Century


History
This church, dedicated to the Apostle Paul, was founded in 837 by the doges Pietro Tradonico and Orso Partecipazio and rebuilt in the 12th and 15th centuries. Some heavy-handed restoration, additions and losses (including a mosaic-covered chapel and a silver Byzantine altar-front) in 1804 by David Rossi were partly reversed in 1927 revealing, for example, the 15th Century wooden ship's keel roof and restoring the rose window which dates from the same period.

The church
The 15th century work resulted in the gothic windows and the impressive South doorway by the Bon workshop that visitors enter from the cramped and busy calle. The façade is now hidden by the Oratorio del Crocifisso, but from the nearby Corte de Cafetier you can see the Gothic rose window with trefoil arches and irregular quatrefoils. The apses face onto Campo San Polo and have several carvings, including the 14th Century relief of The Enthroned Madonna and Child with St Peter and St Paul.

Interior
The ship's keel ceiling dominates San Polo's somewhat knocked-about seeming interior. It's pleasingly rough and calm, and pretty dark at most times. To the left of the door is a sweet small carving fragment. of the Presidio.

Art highlights
Aside from a late work by Tiepolo senior, The Virgin Appearing to St. John Nepomuk,* there's a couple of Tintorettos - the dramatic Last Supper and the Assumption, which is more of a studio work. There are five by Palma Giovane in the big apse. The chapel to the right has a nicely frescoed dome by Gioacchino Pozzoli. The chapel to the left has a Veronese Marriage of the Virgin with an older painting of the Virgin oddly inset later.

More memorable is an impressive sequence of paintings of fourteen Stations of the Cross by Giandomenico Tiepolo, son of the more famous Giambattista, in the Oratory of the Crucifix, built onto the old façade. The son seems to have rebelled against his father's exuberance in life and in his use of colour in his art - these works are paler and much more melancholy than anything by his father. (Comparison can be made with The Virgin appears to Saint John of Nepomuk* in the main church.) He painted them, whilst still in his early 20s, from 1747-49 and they are rare examples of his being allowed to work alone while his father was alive.

Campanile 26m (85ft) manual bells
Detached, an inscription says it was built in 1362, but it could well be older. The doorway features two carved lions, one with a snake in its mouth, the other with a human head in its paws (see below right). The latter is popularly thought to be a reference to the punishment of Doge Marin Faliero for his plotting against the Venetian Rebublic. Although it's also (and more often) said to represent the head of the condotiere Count Carmagnola, beheaded by the Republic in 1402. The well was restored in 1884 and the spire and belfry in 1909.

Local history

Having come through the church and having left by the south door, on his way to visit his lover, Lorenzino de'Medici, along with his uncle Alessandro Soderini, was murdered in 1548 by two assassins. Lorenzino (also known as Lorenzaccio or bad Lorenzino, a nickname he acquired for having decapitated several statues in Rome) had himself killed his cousin Allessandro de'Medici, Duke of Florence, for which crime, Cosimo de'Medici, another cousin, who had succeeded Allesandro, had dispatched the killers. The attackers, called Cecco Bibboni and Bebo da Volterra, fled and took refuge in the church of Spirito Santo.

Opening times

Monday to Saturday: 10.00 to 5.00
Sundays: closed
A Chorus Church

Vaporetto San Toma or San Silvestro

map

 

*Saint John of Nepomuk is a national saint of Bohemia. He was the confessor to the Queen of Bohemia and for refusing to reveal secrets of her confession he was thrown from a bridge in Prague in 1393. He was canonised in 1729 and is the patron saint of silence, and also of protection from floods and calumnies. He is sometimes painted with a finger to his lips or a padlock on his mouth. In the painting here he 'consecrates his tongue' to the Virgin. There is a worn 18th Century statue of him on the fondamenta at the junction of the Grand Canal with the Cannaregio Canal. The saint is represented here because the church was given a Nepomuk relic by Augustus III, King of Poland and Elector of Saxony, in 1740.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


Giuseppe Filosi 1740

San Rocco
Giovanni Scalfarotto 1725
 


History
One of Venice's four plague churches, along with San Giobbe, San Sebastiano and the Salute, this church was built 1489-1508 by Bartolomeo Bon for the Confraternity of San Rocco, along with the scuoletta to the right of the church's façade (which currently houses a Leonardo exhibition). The confraternity had been founded in the plague year of 1478 by a group of prominent families. It had thrived following its stealthy 'translation' of the saint's remains from Volghera in 1485 by two monks, its mission being to help the poor and sick, particularly plague victims, and so this church was built to house these remains. This original church can be seen on De Barbari's map and the engraving of the church by Carlevarijs (see below). Extensive rebuilding, occasioned by danger of collapse, by Giovanni Scalfarotto in 1725, which left only the apse, the (repositioned) side door and a window from the Bon church. Following the plague of 1575/6 the Doge and Signoria would visit San Rocco on the saint's day to give thanks for his intercession.

The church
The façade was erected in 1765-71 by Giorgio Fossati and Bernardino Maccaruzzi to reflect the façade of the scuola. The statues flanking the doorway are by Giovanni Marchiori, who has more works inside, those above are by Gian Maria Morleiter. The side door and rose window are the work of Bon - the window had been on the façade but was moved around the side when the baroque façade was built. Both door and window were restored 2000-2001.

Interior
Aisleless, with two altars each side - separated by large panel paintings - and all matching. The first altars, left and right, have altarpieces by Sebastiano Ricci. The highlight Tintoretttos are in the choir, which has a painted ceiling and vault (not common) by Giuseppe Angeli. Above the altar is the saint himself, whose remains were brought here in 1485, and a statue of him, the baroque altar and statue both being by Bon. Impressive large panels by Fumiani on the left and the ceiling.

Lost art
Christ Carrying the Cross (see right) attributed to either Giorgione or (most commonly) Titian (with Vasari giving it to both of them) used to hang in this church but is now displayed in the Scuola. It is one of the few images with a miracle-working reputation to be attributed to a celebrated artist.

The church in art

In the early 18th Century the church had no façade (from 1727 to c.1760), this being the time from the demolition of the old and unsafe façade until the construction of the new, and so the view-artists of  the day tended to invent their own. The London National Gallery's Canaletto of The Feast Day of St Roch has the authentic unfinished brick, but an earlier painting by him is embellished with an imagined façade, further jazzed up by Visentini when he came to engrave it. Zucci in 1740 and Marieschi in 1742 went to town too (see right). The engraving of the church by Carlevarijs (see below right) is of the original church.

Campanile 29m (94ft) manual bells
Originally built by Bon in 1494, but not shown on the De Barbari map (see right).

Opening times 8.00-12.30, 3.00-5.00

Vaporetto
San Toma

map


 

 






 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


 

San Silvestro
Lorenzo Santi/Giovanni Meduna  1836-43
 


History
Founded in the 9th Century, this church was rebuilt in the first half of the 15th, being consecrated in 1422 and incorporating the nearby oratory of Ognissanti. There was a further rebuilding in the first half of the 17th Century and then again, and more completely, in 1837-43. A large part of the altar of Saint Joseph, including a cornice and three angels, collapsed on the night before Easter Sunday 1820. Subsequent surveys showed that the church was in danger of falling down. Rebuilding began in 1836 to plans by Lorenzo Santi, and was continued by Giovanni Meduna, following Santi's death. Reconsecration took place in 1850. Aside from the campanile no trace remains of the earlier structures, except for a column fragment with a capital of Veneto-Byzantine style built into the wall facing the Rio Terrà.

The church
The façade dates from 1909 and is the work of Giuseppe Sicher. A 17th Century statue of St Sylvester stands in a niche over the door. Through an iron grill to the right inside is the Scuola dei Mercanti di Vino, which has a chapel upstairs with 18th Century frescoes, depicting three episodes from the life of Saint Helena, by Gaspare Diziani, a pupil of Ricci. You'll need to ask the sacristan to let you in. The scuola of the mastellai (coopers) was once attached to this church too, but was destroyed around 1820.

Interior
A very unarchaic church mostly dating from the early 19th Century when it was rebuilt in a relatively unembellished neoclassical style. It's big and has a flat ceiling painted to imitate coffering.

Art highlights
A lot of the paintings the church once contained have been lost, but there's still Tintoretto's Baptism of Christ (restored in 2004) and opposite it an appealingly bright and Bellini-esque St Thomas à Becket Enthroned. It's by Girolamo da Santacroce from 1520, but with a couple more dingy flanking saints (John the Baptist and Francis) added in the 19th Century by one Leonardo Gavagnin. Each of these paintings is the wrong size and shape for the spaces they inhabit, suggesting that their reinstallation into the rebuilt church was forced on the architect late in the process.

Lost art

Veronese's fine 1573 Adoration of the Kings (see right) now in the National Gallery in London, was painted for San Silvestro (for the Scuola di San Giuseppe - it hung to the left of their altar, which already had an altarpiece) where it remained until the 19th century rebuilding, after which it was found to be too big, or so the official account goes. The fruits of more recent investigations have suggested that the decorative plans post-rebuilding never included the Veronese and it seems that the fact of money being sorely needed, and that ecclesiastical fashions had changed, may have had more than a little bearing on the sale. During restoration work on this painting prior to the big Veronese exhibition at the National Gallery in 2014 small holes were found in the paint in a strip along the top, which turned out to have been cause by splashes of bat urine.

Campanile 47m (153ft) manual bells
Destroyed by an earthquake on 25th January 1347, rebuilt 1422, restored 1840. Hear the bells

Local colour
Giorgione died in the house opposite (no. 1022) (the Palazzo Valier) during the plague of 1510. He was said to have painted frescoes on the wall to advertise his skills, of which traces were still visible in the early 20th Century. But Lorenzetti says that this is only the 'supposed abode' of the painter, who 'lived instead perhaps' at no. 1091 to the left.

Opening times
Monday - Saturday:
7.30-11.30, 4.00-6.00

Update May 2016 Since 2010 this church had been closed due to falling bits of ceiling. It then acquired the appearance of a building site, with barriers all around, netting under the ceiling inside, and the campanile sheathed in scaffolding, but now all of this is gone!


Vaporetto San Silvestro

map












 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 








 

 





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

San Tomà

History
Dedicated to St Thomas the Apostle, the church was founded in 917  and restored in 1395. It was enlarged in 1508 with more work in 1652. The façade from the 1652 rebuilding, by Giuseppe Sardi, probably to a design by Longhena, was replaced (as it was about to fall down) with a classical façade by Francesco Bognolo in 1742-55.

In a city not unobsessed by religious relics, this church is said to have once had 10,000 saintly bits and a dozen intact holy corpses. It was a parish church until 1810 and taken over by Minorite friars from 1835-1867. Closed in 1984 for restoration and yet to reopen, although the exterior scaffolding is long off.

Exterior
On the left side of the church there's a marble relief of the Madonna della Misericordia probably taken from church of Santa Maria della Carita (now part of the Accademia Gallery) at the end of the 19th Century. Above the side door on the Campiello del Piovan is the tomb of Giovanni Priuli  of 1375 (see photo far right) moved here from inside the church when the façade was rebuilt in 1742.

Interior
Broad aisleless nave with a vaulted ceiling and six side altars. Ceiling fresco The Martyrdom of St Thomas by Vincenzo (son of the more famous Jacopo) Guarana. The sides of the apse have Saint Thomas and Saint Peter by Campagna.

Campanile
The De Barbari map shows a squat detached brick tower from the 14th Century. A 36ft high section of this tower remains, tilted and with its door below ground level. There's now a replacement Roman-style tower, restored in 1809.

Local interest
The 14th Century relief of the Madonna della Misericordia over the door of the Scuola dei Calegheri e Zavatteri (shoemakers and cobblers) opposite the church came from the demolished church of Santa Maria dei Servi.

Opening times
Never

Vaporetto San Toma

map

   

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This print by Carlevarijs is presumably of San Toma's previous façade,
but the caption says that the architect is Alessandro Tremignon.
 

Sant’Aponal
15th Century
 


History
Founded in 1034 by the Sciavola and Rampana familes from Ravenna, Sant'Appollinaire being that city's patron saint and Sant'Aponal being the Venetian dialect version of his name. The first documentary evidence dates from 1060. The current church dates from a rebuilding from 1407. Restored with interior remodelled in 1583, including the flat panelled ceiling, and again in 1791. A parish church until it was suppressed in 1810 by the French, who stripped it of its art and furnishings. It became a mill, a night refuge for the poor, and a prison for political detainees. The four ugly rectangular windows on the façade date from this period. Later it was sold by auction to Angelo Vianello who later sold it on to a group who had it reconsecrated and reopened for a short time in 1851 with five of its eight altars returned. Also the high altar, with the painting of The Martyrdom of Sant'Apollinare by Lattanzio Querena, was taken from the church of Santa Giustina in Castello, which had been turned into a school.

Restored in 1929 at which time the Renaissance doorway with sculptures by Antonio Rizzo that had adorned the church since 1841 was returned to the church of Sant'Elena. (It's still in place in the late-19th Century photo below right) Closed in 1984 and used as store for marriage registers by the Venetian Commune.

The church
15th Century Gothic façade with large marble relief of the crucifixion from the late 14th Century above the rose window. Reliefs below the window (which may have come from a demolished altar in the original church) show Christ with the Virgin and St John the Baptist under a Gothic arch and flanked by saints in spired niches (see left). The Reliefs below the main figures are of The Agony in the Garden and Doubting Thomas and are dated 1294. The smaller separate relief is of The Enthroned Virgin and Child and is early 16th Century. This sculpture was all installed when the doorway mentioned above was returned to Sant'Elena, as was the 14th century cross in Istrian stone above the circular window.

Interior
Said to have a single nave with a flat coffered ceiling, side altars by Vittoria, and the Baroque high altar taken from Santa Giustina, mentioned in History above.

Art highlights?
Luca Giordano The massacre of the Innocents and Christ's Expulsion of the Merchants from the Temple and S. Ferdinand by Princess Victoria Hehenlohe are mentioned in books.

Lost art
An altarpiece painted for the Stonecutters' Chapel by Andrea Schiavone is lost. 

The early Madonna del Carmelo  by Tiepolo is now in the Brera in Milan. It was commissioned in 1721  for the side wall of the chapel here of the confraternity of the Suffragio del Carmine.

Campanile 50m (163 ft) manual bells
Detached, Veneto-Byzantine and erected between the 12th and 13th century. Restored in the 15th Century, which work added the cornice with arches and the drum. The base is decorated with 11th Century bas-reliefs and paterae, which included one of the oldest representations of the Lion of St Mark - the so-called the crab-lion (see right) now in the Museo Correr.

Opening times Never

Update May 2016 the whole tower was covered in scaffolding in September 2008, but by now it's just the top bit, with ladder scaffolding on one face.

Vaporetto
San Silvestro

map

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 .

 

 

 


Home

Cannaregio :: Castello :: Dorsoduro :: Giudecca :: San Marco :: San Polo :: Santa Croce :: The Islands :: Demolished